Monday, February 28, 2011

Faith First - Man of faith

Since my last blog, I received the devastating news that my best mate and life long golf buddy, Mark Versey died suddenly. I am finding it hard to talk about it, and am lost for words to express my sorrow and pain. He was a great man, who loved life, would do anything for anyone and was a brilliant friend. I have so much to be thankful for during the times we spent together and I know that so many others feel the same.

If ever you needed an example of what faith looks like in human flesh, then Verz was as good example of it as you would ever get. Ever since I have known him, I have been inspired and encouraged by his great faith. In fact it was Verz that suggested I apply to become a minister within the Salvation Army. This led to a journey that continues today. He was more than a friend, more than our best man, he was a brother in faith. When Lizzy and I had a miscarriage a couple of years ago, he was there on the other end of a computer via Skype, telling us he was committed to pray for us everyday until we conceived again. Katherine was born a year later.

In essence, Verz lived out what he believed. In 2003, he came into contact with Ambassadors in Sport and from that moment he sought to live out his faith through the medium of Football. Verz, right up to his passing, never lost sight of the power of a living Jesus and how that could be translated through football. I don't think anyone could comprehend the impact he has made on the lives of people in many parts of the world, the impact on the running of AIS, the legacy in South Africa as over 500 coaches were trained by AIS and his friendship to so many people. These few words do not do justice to legacy he leaves behind.

Verz was a true ambassador of hope and a man of great faith.

Well done my friend.

Matt

An Tribute from Ambassadors in Sport.

No comments: