Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Leaving a legacy

It light of the past week, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on the legacy that Verz (see previous blog) has had upon peoples lives. It is amazing to think that one man can impact, for the better, so many people's lives and leave a legacy that will continue to help the church share the good news of Jesus. As someone who got to share a lot of time with him, it's easy to see how. Apart form the odd Norwich fan, I can't think of anyone who would have a bad word to say about Verz, he had no enemies, only saw the best in people and was the most humble person I have ever met.


I have been challenged, as I am sure others have, as to the legacy that I will leave both in my current appointment but in all aspects of my life. Has my life been a force for good and left people with a positive experience of the God whom I seek to proclaim and follow. If I am to leave a true legacy it must be one that God has ordained and that I seek to fulfill in and through my obedience as a husband, father, friend and leader. It isn't my Officers commission that defines my ministry and life, it is found in the one whose commission I seek to carry out.
I don't think Verz truly realised the depth of the legacy that he has left and that will continue to impact our world. Knowing Verz, he would be embarrassed by all the attention and praise that has been on facebook, in conversations and that will undoubtedly come in the weeks and months to come. He deserves all the praise that comes his way but he would simple deflect that praise to one who called him in the first place.
The question is, what will my legacy be, what will your legacy be?

Matt

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As you know I'd never actualy met Mark but after everything I'd heard about him I couldn't wait to work with him in the Summer. He deserves every tribute that come his way.

Legacy is a word that's bounded about so much these days and especially around the Olympics. It's nice to see a true example of someone making a real and lasting impact on the lives of others.

Was thinking about you yesterday and I hope you have a good day at CP today. See you soon mate