Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Open book

One of the great tensions as a leader is how much you give of your true self to the cause, how much you are yourself in public and how much you keep well hidden.

It is easy for a leader to reveal a fraction of themselves and be themselves to those they lead. A good example of this was when Gordon Brown, on his departure speech from office, revealed more about himself than in his entire premiership. As he spoke the words " I know go to do the most important job of all as a husband and as a father." Part of me was encouraged at his acknowledgement of the importance of family but was annoyed that it took a general election defeat to see that element of his character. I wonder what difference it would have made to his reign had he said that as he became the PM.

There is a need in leadership to be real, honest and as open as possible. This is difficult in many circumstance where there is a need for confidentiality for legal or personal reasons. However, I am always drawn to those leaders I know more about, regardless of what I know about them. In my experience, people will not like you any less if they know the truth about you. Being an open book does not mean you tell everyone everything but you are willing to be yourself in all situations and honest enough to admit your failings and flaws.
Over the years I have found this difficult and frustrating within the Salvation Army, whether as a member of the congregation or in a position of leadership. Trying to be yourself in an organisation that expects certain things creates a predicament that I have pondered about a lot. How can I be myself as well as fulfill the expectations as a Salvation Army Officer (minister) which sometimes I may have different views about? Yet
At the heart of a good leader should be a willingness to be open and honest in all situations. God created us as he desired, why would we want to hide who we are from him or anyone else?
Matt

No comments: