Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Leading

Last week the Salvation Army (SA) elected a new General (World Leader). Linda Bond will take up her appointment on the 2nd April 2011, following Shaw Clifton who retires on the 1st April 2011. I must admit that I was intrigued by the process more than the outcome. The body that makes the decision (The High Council) is made up of leaders of a certain position within the SA world. In theory any SA Officer (minister) can become the General of the SA but must be nominated by at least 3 members of the HC. This has never happened. See following link for more details: http://www2.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/www_uki.nsf/vw-search/0DA2C1DB392DE343802570EB0057542A?opendocument

It got me thinking about the process of leadership and how we raise new leaders within the SA at all levels. Does our position/appointment mean we are good leaders? Are the best leaders in the best places?

Of course, I have little say on the big issues regarding the Generals election process but I do have a opportunity to ensure that we are a movement that keeps raising leaders at local church level. In my experience, this is where leaders are born and should be develop and grown. The reality is if local leaders are not present, nothings grows. I am convinced that the local church should be like a chemistry lab where people are involved in experiments. It will mean that some work out well, some will make a mess, some discovering little, some discovering lots and some changing the way we think. This will allow people the freedom and opportunity to experiment in leadership and ultimately learn how to lead better.

I must add that being a leader doesn't mean having an official role or responsibility but the gift and ability to lead others in faith and vision. God doesn't have a standard mould that he uses to make leaders but he certainly can mould people in to leaders.

My hope is that as an Officer people look to me as a leader not because of my rank, status, or even experience but because I lead with integrity, honesty and a desire to release others to lead. If I get this wrong it will time for me to step aside!

Matt

No comments: