Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Big Church Little Church

So what is it to be? Small Church or Big Church? What is the future for the church in our country? Will people find large professional places of worship inviting or small intimate settings! What abouts cells, interest groups or house churches? Is every church suppose to grow numerically and look for bigger premises or is planting the future?


I so feel so confused as to what is "the best thing to do" for a church to grow and develop. Currently I find myself in a Salvation Army church in Nottingham that has been here for many years with committed members. I am really enjoying the challenge, the community and hope that comes through lead a group of followers forward. I want to be in Aspley for as long as possible. One day, I would love to plant a new church one day. Go into a community where there is no expression of the church and believe that God can raise up a community willing and ready to worship and serve.
But I keep coming back to the question "what is best?"
I am learning that every church/worshipping community can grow, can be what God desires it to be and that there is not one perfect model of church. We have tried to do that in the past and it only worked for so long. We need to be prepared to re-think, re-shape and re-imagine what the church should be and what it can be.
Matt




No comments: