Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Conversion or Conversations??

I read this last night.
In a post modern world we should count conversations rather than conversions. In other words the church should not be driven by numbers of new people, converts or members but by the conversations that occur within the community regarding the Kingdom of God.
So are "Kingdom conversations" equal to seeing people make a decision to follow Christ? I guess there is a wider debate to be had about the place on conversion in the 21st century. My head as a Salvationist says that providing opportunity for people to make a decision is part of who we are, our history and a tool for spreading the good news.
But my heart says that we do not live in a world where people can make such a clear cut choice (for various reasons i.e unable to live up to the standard, commitment is to much etc) and sign on a dotted line to say that they are a Christian. Certainly in my time in Aspley it has been the conversations that have led to decisions, changes, opportunities and deepen faith. I don't need to record them but store them as encouragement for me and the church.
By it's very nature the good news of Christ will also stir peoples hearts to change but is that how we measure the effectiveness of a church in sharing the story of God.
Matt

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure there have always been people that have followed Christ but they haven't necessarily been that close to him. These initial conversations could be like the people joining the crowd to here what Jesus was saying but wouldn't consider themselves one of his Disciples. Some people may have only heard him once but might go to hear him again so in some sense would be following him. I would imagine as you converse with people you draw them into the crowd more bring them closer to Jesus more often until the are having a conversation with Him.

Matt Elsey said...

love the image of drawing people into the crowd - however I wonder if in our world today we are the ones who get drawn into the crowd but just start a different conversation?

Unknown said...

It depends on what we're saying the crowd is I suppose. Is the crowd those that have heard or started a converesation about faith or heard something of this man, Jesus. Or is the crowd simply everyone. I don't know but I think I see it as a crowd of people gathering because they've heard something about a man who is talking about a new way of life. Some of the crowd go everywhere to listen but wouldn't call themselves followers, some come in and out of the crowd or are right on the edge. There are then people nowhere near the crowd, some wonder what all the fuss is about and others just aren't interested.

All that said I think the role of those who are in conversation with Jesus do need to go into the crowd and some need to go beyond it. some places they need to direct the conversation and in other places they need to have a different conversation all together.

I don't know it's just a thought

Unknown said...

PS, thanks for that e-mail, I'll talk to about it more at another point, but it was just what I needed.