Saturday, May 02, 2009

Drinking and Dreaming

I was out last night at the awards ceremony for the Beacon U12's that I coach on Tuesday nights. It was a nice evening, a good opportunity to spend some time meeting the parents and chatting to the boys about football.

A couple of things that I wanted to share.
Firstly, it was evident that what I believe about the churches need to reach people outside of it's buildings is true. Even more true than I first thought. The reality is that if these people are to meet Jesus and follow Him, we need to be image and an an expression on God that is real and visible.
Secondly, one of the lads asked why I wasn't drinking alcohol. He asked if I was driving and was very surprised when I said I didn't drink. His comment was (I think) very significant. He said "its ever mans dream to drink a beer, I know its mine." I was taken aback, this boy is 11 and his dream is to drink. It probably the first time I have every heard such a comment from a young lad. If this is the dreams of our young people the we really need to give them a bigger dream, a deeper dream and a dream that will bring purpose, hope, joy and fulfillment. That dream is a relationship with Jesus, a dream that is as big as you allow it to be and a dream that will never disappoint.
Matt

No comments: