Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Know where your going (without a Sat Nav).

The other week I was in a meeting where I was the only one that did not have a Sat Nav. I havn't used one but clearly understand what they do and why you would use one. However wonderful and helpful they maybe in directing people around the exstensive British road network, I don't like Sat Navs. It could be to do with fact that "I am a man and we don't ask for directions" or "I don't want to admit to Lizzy that I'm lost." Yet, there is more to it than my flawered character and therefore want to make a case for ditching the technology that tells us where we are going. I know I have not used one (and will not) but want to comment on my frustrations with them.

Apparently Sat navs are better than maps to stop us getting lost. However that is not what is reported in the telegraph where it claims 82% of  18 to 24 year olds despite having a Sat Nav have got lost in the last year. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caraccessories/8636633/Drivers-are-better-off-using-road-maps-than-satnav-new-research-finds.html This says alot about our reliance on technology rather than the most sophisticate computer of all: our brains. For me, using a map (google maps or paper map) to plan and set eye on the route provides a better indication of the route we need and could need if there are road works accidents or if we take a wrong turn. In our impatients to get somewhere we forget to look how to get there before entering the car and know apprectiate just what the journey may entail.

Even if the Sat Nav's don't get us lost and to our destination on time, we could neglect the opportunity in developing a key life lesson: A sense of direction. With a Sat Nav we could concentrate on being told where to go rather than keeping and eye on where we have been, where we are and what is up ahead. For example: Whilst driving on the motorway we keep going until we hear the voice that tells us to exit in 1 mile (or what ever it may say). Yet you have no idea where you actually are, what city/town you have passed, what road you are going on too or even what number junction it is you have come of at. Now you need to do the route again. I guess you put the post code and repeat the process, oblivious to where you are or where you have been! Imagine what you might have missed out on and what you may have learnt along the way.

There is a point to my ranting about such a minor issues as the use of Sat Navs.

Faith is like living without a Sat Nav. It is faith that allows to develop a sense of direction and then allows us to see the beauty on our journey.

Matt

No comments: