Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fatherhood

I am having a break from my usual blogging topics and comment on something I have been thinking a lot about lately. Fatherhood. From the pain when we suffered a miscarriage before Katherine, others experience of the complex nature of conceiving and the trails of being a parent, I can honestly say that I love being a parent. In short it is brilliant and a blessing that I never want to take for granted. Yet as a father there is a dichotomy that we face. Let me try and explain.

It is easy to accept that there are roles that a mother and father play in a child's up bringing yet how realistic they are is up for debate. My observation is that there is a lot of pressure on father to be highly active in a child's up bringing yet we seem to find it difficult in maybe admitting we do. For example: How many men’s public toilets have baby changing facilities in? (In one public toilet it had such facility but the sticker had a picture of a female and baby on it!) This is not the issue the issue is how many men complain about it? Would we admit/point out to our male counterparts that this is wrong or should be made more available? There seems to be an unspoken agreement that we men keep quiet about such conveniences so that we get out of doing nappies!

This is one observation But us fathers need to grasp the significant of being involved in all parts of our children’s up bringing (even the smelly bits) and telling others dads about it too. Why are we so worried about what other blokes think?

I do not claim to be the best dad in the world but I am a dad that wants to be the best and encourage others to do so. Let me know your thoughts and tips of being a good father. We need all the help we can get.

Matt

Resources you can check out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14880055 - interesting article on the physical changes on a father when a child comes along.

http://www.dad.info/

60 minuet father by Rob Parsons - This book changed my fatherhood. It is brilliant and easy to read.


No comments: