Thursday, September 08, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

I was with a bunch of church leaders today and was presented with the classic first question: "Are you busy!" Maybe in the past I would have responded with a yes or tried to ignore or deflect the question but this time I went for the brave answer. I said "no, busy is over-rated." I was met with a shy laugh and then silence. I have a few frustrations I need to share:
  • Why is it that people assume that busy means we are doing the right things? We get caught up in a world that says the more we do the better and more valuable we are. Just because we are busy doesn't always mean we are getting things done and done well. I have been quilty in the past of doing lots of stuff but doing few of them really well. I want to do less but do them better.
  • Why do we value busy people more than those that consitently and quietly go about their work at a healthy pace? Maybe it boils down to the fact we are jeleous of those who have slower paced, calmer and more blended lives. For many of us we have many presures that compound this issue that are out of our control but there are many things that are.
  • Why can't we ask better questions about each other? At no point did anyone ask how my marraige was, how being a father is going or if I need any prayers! I have to be honest and say that I didn't ask them any of these questions. I should have and will try to next time.
Of course the danger of being less busy is we slip into a place of comfort or even worse, an attitude of complacency. This will be just as damaging as being too busy. But we are only doing ourselves a dis-service if we don't get thie sorted.

Matt

No comments: