Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Risk and Loss (3) Pain

I am an avid House (the Sky Drama rather than the type of music) fan. It is a great example of good and bad leadership. House is a egotistical but brilliant diagnostician who feeds off the plight of others. Cutty, his boss, is responsible for House (they were in a relationship as well) antics but recognises his brilliance. During a recent episode, Cutty got ill and House responded in his one inevitable way. During one scene came this quote: "Pain happens when you care!" Cutty (House S7 Ep 15).

One of the tensions in leadership is showing and sharing our pain (not just in leadership decisions but personal issues also). As previous discussed when we are prepared to risk something we may experience loss. With loss comes pain. It has been said that leaders in the church find it easier to make the hard decisions because it isn't there church and can move at any time. In the SA it can be easy to hide behind the fact that we are appointed to a place rather than choosing to be there. However, this is to the detriment of the church we are appointed to and to our own leadership development. I once had an officer mutter the words "don't take it personally" to me about a decisions that had been made effecting me.

Where ever I have been (which is limited to 2 communities) I have sought to embed my life in the community I serve. I really have cared about the people I have served along side and believe that it has to be personal to make my leadership effective and meaningful for me and the church I lead. Often, it is in the pain that leadership can be refined.

When Jesus came into our world, he demonstrate just how personnally God took the worlds plight. He became flesh, he became an equal and walked with us.


Matt

No comments: