Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Leading Evangelism 1 - why?

One of the biggest impacts the Arrow Leadership process has had on me is my attitude towards leading evangelism in the church I am appointed to currently (and beyond). I have often seen ministers who can clearly lead others in evangelism but then opt out of doing it themselves. I would like to think I have always been open and willing in leading by example but know I have not always been effective or intentional about this. I know that I have a strong missional heart and am willing to go into situations that require me to show faith without necessary having or seeking the opportunity to speak about my faith.

However, I do wonder if I don't say enough! Evangelism is more than deed, it is about what we share verbally with others. As this point I acknowledge that the language we use is part of the issues but Evangelism isn't mission just very closely related and complementary too. People have become scared of the "e" word but it is crucial to our mission and purpose as the voice of God in our world. Maybe many of the issues surrounding the suppression of Christianity stem from the churches silence rather than supposedly being gagged. Whatever the cause, we are fearful of speaking about Jesus to our world today for fear of ridicule, losing friends or being seen as weird.

What I have discovered recently is that when you mention Jesus, people are intriged, respectful and open to knowing more. So lets tell them!

Matt

No comments: