Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Leading Evangelism 2 - Leading it

As I mentioned in my last blog, when leading others in evangelism it must be backed up by the leader personally engaging in it but not because it a part of the job or programme. Evangelism is a fundamental response to our calling by God as His disciples and we must not hide behind structures or institutions to protect us from talk about Jesus. I don't think the church will survive for very long if those leading others in evangelism don't put themselves in a place where they can do it.


There are many reasons why the leader (The Corps Officer in my denomination) should be exposed to sharing there faith with people who do not know Christ. Here are a few thoughts:


1 - Practice what you preach. I have always been an advocate of mission and evangelism and on the whole been a good exponent of it. Yet there is a danger that I could end up talking about the "church" rather than the deep issues of faith. If I challenge my church fellowship on a Sunday to share their faith I should be ready to do the same at the next opportunity.


2 - You discover the reality - There are many people that do not find talking about faith easy and can end up feeling disheartened and discouraged because they feel they are not good enough to be evangelists. If the leader also experiences this reality then it can be an encouragement to their congregation to keep going. I am regularly praying for 2 people to become Christians but as yet haven't. This is my reality that I share with others. I still keep praying and believing.


3 - What works - If you are leading evangelism and personally engaging with it you are more likely to discover what works and share that with others. For example, I attended an excellent day with Carl Beech regarding men's ministries. He was able to share his own experience of success and failure in reaching men for God. Because he had the "T-Shirt" he could speak honesty and helpfully to us beginners.


4 - It is what we do - As I mention in my introduction, talking about my faith is not what I get paid to do, its what I am called to do and so must fulfill that call. It is only through my own personal willingness to introduce others to a life of faith that I will know how to lead others to do the same.


If I truly love God, why would I keep that to myself regardless of my role, job or appointment.


Matt

No comments: