Saturday, November 07, 2009

I can't get no satisfaction!!!

Do not worry I am not going to break into song! At the East Midlands Youth gathering in Grantham (25/10/09), Andy Whitehouse challenged us about our attitude to our churches to "not to become satisfied with what we have." An interesting thought that I felt was worth a blog.


On one level I disagree with him. Dis-satisfaction can lead to discontent which could in turn lead to a destruction of hope. This may sound extreme but I have seen many Christians get dis-satisfied and move on. Also there is a danger you can drag others down with you which will be damaging for a church community.
On the other hand Andy is right, if we become satisfied with our churches we will simple seek to maintain our churches rather than see that they are places of purpose and mission. I believe that God needs a church that is willing to question itself, be willing to be honest enough to see what is going on around us and change if necessary. Being dis-satisfied as a church should bread hope and mission because we are willing to evaluate our effectiveness and purpose.
I prayer I will never be satisfied with which ever church I find myself apart of but only because I want God to have the glory not because It doesn't suit my style or needs.
Matt

No comments: