Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Home and Away

I did something silly last week. I didn't have football for the Beacon on Saturday so looked at the Saints fixtures to see that we were playing MK Don's (which is an hour or so away). Spoke to a couple of mates about coming and phoned to book tickets. I asked for the tickets in the away end and got a strange reply; "your a Saints fan but you want to sit in the away fans end." I thought to myself "that is what happens when you see you team at an away ground." Anyway, turns out we were at St Mary's!!

Over the last couple of months I have been thinking a lot about what I believe church is or should be. I have been chatting with a number of people about how the Salvation Army seeks to relate to our world. Sometimes I feel like I am a home fan in the away end. Trying to be heard over the the noise or feeling like I am in the wrong place (not physically). Is my understanding and approach to church wrong or off the page, have I missed something along my journey? Is my passion for a certain model of church better or worse than another, is my vision for the church out of sync with God's heart?
On the other hand, I have been energised by what I see God doing in and through the life of our church in Aspley. People are responding to God, asking question and seek to deepen their faith. I have had great conversations around how we need to change and/or renew our approach so that we can be more effective in being a people who represent Jesus in our communities. I also know that God is showing me the kind of leader he has made me and what my limitations and skills are. I am even more convinced that the church in 2009 can't remain on the fringe of society and must find new and creative ways of being in communities and all levels.
God is teaching me valuable lessons that I hope I will be faithful in learning. Come and join in, it's great fun.
Matt

No comments: