Thursday, June 26, 2008

Equality and Diversity

As a white middle class man, my experience of being marginalised is very small indeed. The only significant experience happened in 2004 when Lizzy and I went to India for a Youth Conference. We stayed in the middle of deepest darkest Calcutta and went out for the afternoon on our own. It was obvious that we were the only white people as we were stared at constantly. It was very unnerving and uncomfortable.
Jim Wallis says that "We respect one another because God made us equal, views us as equal, and treats us a equal - and expects us to treat one another the same way" (Wallis, 2008:148)
As I read the chapter on equality and diversity, I realised how unaware I have been about how my actions, words or silence effect others. If I am to live out an inclusive gospel, I can't and must not just value and focus on my feelings or presumptions but the the feelings and opinions of others. In India, I noticed how I must react at home when I come in to contact with those who are not like me, whether Class, gender, race or ability. Am I welcoming, responsive and engaged or do I only subscribe to thoughts, opinions and actions of those I like or who like me?
God's world is just, I hope mine matches up more in the future.
Matt

No comments: