Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thanks for all you do!!

I have blogged in the past on language we use to express our thanks to those under our leadership for the roles they fill, tasks they undertake and success they achieve. I have been struck again as to the subtle way in which leaders chose to thank people for what they do rather than the people they are. I maybe covering old ground but it has brought back into focus the need for me to be conscious of my language and whether my thanks is given on a results basis rather than as a way of developing and loving individuals I love and lead.

I can confess that I have been guilty myself of being driven to place more significance on the amount, types and effectiveness of my ministry above the one for whom I engage in it to start with. As a result I know that I have put large amounts of energy into doing rather than developing the person within. In my time at Leicester I even put it ahead of other elements of my life such as friends and family. I have learnt but still learning what it means to have a fulfilling ministry without compromising my humility and drive to serve God.
By putting so much emphasis on what we do, the amount we do and the success of it we are actually creation a subtlety but significantly creating a culture of guilt and pride. We are slowly reinforcing in our churches and denominations that if we work harder, do more we will see the blessings of God on what we do. This is a lie. We may see fruit but at what cost. At Leicester, I put unnecessary strain and demand on my marriage because of my desire to do more (this  is in its self a sin against God’s community). I wanted peoples praise and to feel my ministry was worth something and that the church could not function without me. It has taken me a while to confess and deal with that realisation that even God still functions without my input and effort.

It is actually very liberating when you realise God doesn’t need you. However, it is inspiring when you discover that wants you!

Matt

1 comment:

Will said...

Hey bud. You mention God not needing us. I've thought about this a bit over the last few years. To what extent is the advancement of the Kingdom of God down to us? To what extent is it our responsibility? I guess we'd agree that we have a role to play, but that it's not all down to us (contrary to popular belief apparently!). Yes scripture (Jesus) tells us to make disciples and to care for those in need. But it also tells us to love our families, to worship, to pray and to rest. Some people I know (!) would say that mission matters most. I'd rather keep things a little more balanced.