Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Putting it into practice

In the last few weeks I have realised that I have begun to put into practice some of the components from the Arrow Leadership programme. There have been a few days when something has cropped up in my week which maybe 6 months ago would have had me stressing or even making me work more than was necessary.
One of the principles that struck a cord with me was organising my week to plan for emergencies or the unseen meetings and appointments of your week. Obviously, by their nature you don't know when they will happen, how long they will take and what follow up will be required. The theory presented to us on Arrow was that you can build time in to allow for such events. Of course, this takes discipline and planning. Two things for which I am not renowned. However, I have begun to see the beginnings of development in these areas. It has taken time and a lot of wiilingness on my part but I am beginning to see the benifits for my self but also the church I lead.

For example: Today Katherine has had to be dropped off back with me from the Childminders because she has suspected chicken pox. Because of how I plan my week I know that I can afford to drop everything, take her home and spend time with her and take her to the doctors. All my tasks I need to get done are relatively sorted and the things I need to do can wait until she is in bed. I even have time to blog!

In leadership it is necessary to be flexible and prepared for the unexpected. I remember James Lawrence saying " you know emergencies will happen , so plan for them." My diary is less full than this time last year. I block time out and stick to it, if I have time spare I use it to focus on long term stuff rather than little jobs. In leadership, you know and accept that you will have things to do, people to support, places to go and responsibilities to fulfil but ultimately how you plan and use that time is the individuals responsibility.

If you find your self with to little time to do things in and do them well, then do less.

Matt

No comments: