Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Unexpected Surprise

When I was based at Leicester South, I was a mentor at a local college to a number of young people who need additional support through their GCSE's and going on to work or further education. One of the lads I had was called James (not his real name), He was a nice lad, quiet but easy swayed by those around around him in his lessons. I never knew if I had any impact or even if He was getting anything out of our hour every two weeks.
That was 3 years ago. This week Lizzy and I popped into Fosse Park for some shopping and I got a Costa coffee. The guy that served me looked familiar, it was James. He remembered who I was and we had a brief chat. Turns out that he went to college and finished His Uniformed Services qualification and is waiting to turn 18 to apply for the fire service.
Now, I am not claiming that I had a huge impact but hopefully I was one of the positive influence that has helped him along the way. It also was a unexpected surprise for me to see a small result of something that didn't always seem worth while. In our instant world we can get frustrated about not seeing results, sometimes we need to be patient and allow God to work in His way and in His time.
Matt

No comments: