Saturday, November 17, 2007

what is it all about??

I am really bad at saying lots (to much some would argue) but never writing it down for future reference. I tried to blog in the past but my life seam relatively boring and lost interest.
So with a fresh lease of life and bit more time to do so I am once again attempting to write down what's on my mind.
To assist me in achieving to blog at least once a week, I am focusing on a question that has haunted me for a very long time; "What does it mean to be a church in context?"
It has taken me a while to get to this point. Having spent 5 years living out my faith in a local church leadership position i find myself not at the Salvation Army college away from the reality of being the local church. This is a struggle as I am wired to be "out there, doing stuff." Sitting in my flat writing assignments does not make me tick. However, it has got me thinking about what happen in July 2008 when they let me back out into the world, probably with a Church to lead on my own. What are the truths, tools and issues that i need to discover, develop and question of these next few months.
So what has that got to do with context? We have no idea where we are going next year but there are certain things, issues and debates that will have an influence on my leadership of the and way in which Lizzy and I will live out our faith.
The question I leave (and will come back to next time) at the end of this introductory ramble is;
"What is the role of context in the life of the local Church?"

1 comment:

Cosmo said...

Hi Matt,

I saw your name on Gordon's blog and couldn't help clicking a fellow Felixstowian.

Looking forward to your postings.

One of the best things I found about training college (after making great friends and having every afternoon to sleep - I hear that's changed now!) was the space to think things through. Use your last six months or so, not as a countdown to getting out, but a great opportunity to do lots of reading, talking, thinking about mission, theology, church, people, cultures...stuff like that!

God bless!

Marcus Mylechreest