Tuesday, August 02, 2011

What is my value?

Last week I received an email that ended, from a person that doesn't know me, saying; "thanks for all you do." All of us like to be thanked for what we do. But I was interested as to what he meant as he is unfamiliar with my role, personality and character. I am sure he was being encouraging but in a conversation with a friend we chatted about what signals this sends out. Are me more excited or interested in what people do rather than who they are? For example: What is the first question we ask when we meet someone new? The thing is, I realised that I do the same. I have ended many an email to my leadership team " thanks for all you do" in an genuine attempt to encourage them for the way they lead the church. I wonder if I have missed something or even worse sent the wrong signals to them. Do I care more about what they do or who they are?


It is easy to value people for what they do because we can see the results of their labour and efforts. It is also important that people are encouraged for what they do and the quality of their work (whatever the level of profession ). It is free and only takes a moment but can yield results and increase performance. People want to be thanked and encouraged but we (the church) could simply become an organisation reward good deeds, success and effort rather than celebrating diversity, character and even failure. In leadership, it's easy to slip into an attitude of "what can I get from others" rather than seeking to support and resource them in their own unique ministry.


In the past few weeks I have begun to put various other things at the end to encourage people for who they are rather than what they do. I need to keep working on this and develop both my attitude and skill in valuing people for the depth and diversity of their character rather than simply what they can do for me, the church or even God.


Surely, God is more interested in who we are. I pray I will be too.


Matt

No comments: