Monday, April 12, 2010

Lessons

Read this this week:

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I would say that life is pretty boring once you stop learning from it and church is no different. I can honesty say that I am currently learning a lot about myself, leadership, fatherhood and church. I can't say that I understand it or that I am any good at all of them but I know I am better than I was this time last year. For example; I am learning what the various cries Katherine makes and what they mean (i.e hungry, nappy change, sleep and just grumpy!).
I am discovering that to be a good leader, I must learn at every opportunity. When things go well, take the credit but don't forget to look at what could have been done better or differently. When things go badly, don't be afraid to hold up your hands and say "I could have done that differently." There is no weakness in admitting you got things wrong but there is danger in ignoring it. I have learnt that when you lead you have will always get things wrong but its how you respond and react that limits the impact of your mistakes.
I don't believe God asks for perfection but for a willingness that as we seek to live we seek to learn.
Matt

No comments: